Thursday, September 29, 2011

How to Succeed on a Gap Year Without Really Trying


Always say yes.
Within reason, that is. 
A few good things have happened to me just by saying yes.  First, I ended up joining the school musical, which is Evita this year.  I’m just in the ensemble, but I don’t really care.  I was convinced when one of my friends said, “It’ll give you something to do after school,” which is true.  It’s my Monday and Friday afternoons, for two hours.  Tomorrow will be our third rehearsal, and to be honest, it’s been a little dull because the ensemble just does a load of background noise for the songs.  We’re missing Peron because he had “glandular fever” which I had no idea what it was but helloooo it’s just mono.  Not that that doesn’t suck, but I had no idea what everyone was going on about.  Evita was also ill, so she hasn’t sung yet.  None of the principles (since there are only about five) know their lyrics because we haven’t had enough rehearsals, but that’s alright.  It’ll be good fun, I keep telling myself.  At the very least I get to spend time with some fun people.
Another thing – I started playing field hockey.  I was never drawn to playing it at my prep school, which was very, very good at field hockey.  Which is probably why I never wanted to play.  And as many family members and family friends joked this summer that I would come back with a British accent (no) and that I would play hockey, I scoffed in their faces.  Surely, I never would.  But last week, in a whirlwind, I was thrown into playing defence in a match.  I had no idea what was going on, as I don’t think I had ever bothered to watch a match at school.  It was fun, though, and very exhilarating to play and run.  I got sore a good way – my abs ached and my legs and back hurt a little, but in a rewarding way.
And last night, I swam with my clothes on.  I know that doesn’t sound so risqué, but for me it was different.  I thought I remembered a moment when I was younger and I didn’t go swimming with my friends because I didn’t have a swimsuit.  I don’t even know if that actually happened or if it was a weird psychological moment happening, but I did it to redeem myself for not taking risks when I was younger.
At prep school, there was always, “No, I can’t do that because _____________.”  And usually that space was “homework,” “it’s late,” “that’s silly,” “I’m clothed,” or “I don’t have the balls to do that”.  This is the time I throw all of that away and do everything.  I am legally able to drink, club, smoke (ew I never will), so there really aren’t any rules on what I can and cannot do beyond my own personal restrictions.  That’s a great feeling to have.
How to succeed on your gap year without really trying?  Just say yes.  Just don’t get arrested.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're having super dun!

    Helen, x
    http://areyoudressingupordressingdown.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete